I learned a lot about bystander behavior last class!! Things that i see and even do everyday can be seen as bystander behavior. It is something that you do sometimes without even noticing.
I try and not to be a bystander when I see a situation where I can help! I always try and do the small things to help others. If I see someone who needs help carrying something or help opening a door I will always try and do that for them because I know at some point I will be that person that needs help and I would like someone to do that for me!
however when a situation is of larger importance it is sometimes harder to step in, especially if someones feelings are involved. I never want people mad at me so I know there are times when I could have stepped in but I didn't want to hurt any ones feeling. Example, I have a friend from High School who is going through a hard time with body image and issues that relate to that. I know I could offer guidance and help because I have been through some of that same stuff myself. but I do not want to hurt her feelings or make it worse by bringing anything up so I just haven't yet even though I think I could help.
College students don't always step up in situations because they are scared embarrassed or just don't know what to do. We have a lot of times as college students where we have to make decisions to be bystanders or leaders and step in. After learning more about it and being more aware of situations that involve being a bystander I will try my best to always step in when necessary!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm glad the movie communicated the message to you...I think knowing that fourth step "what to do next" can be the trickiest. Consider asking someone who is trained in such challenges and talking to your friend. Remember so many times those in need are begging for someone to notice them.
ReplyDelete